Friday, January 26, 2007

Harper has to take this issue more seriously ...

Tory MP criticized over 'Tonto' joke
Métis leader and critics tell Colin Mayes to resign native affairs role and apologize

January 26, 2007 Allan Woods Richard Brennan Ottawa Bureau / The Star

...Métis National Council president Clement Chartier said the email exchange is not "behaviour that is acceptable today ... It is bad taste."

In his email, Mayes alleges a movement's afoot to "discredit me and replace me." Ten on the board of his riding association have quit since November.

Tory MP criticized over 'Tonto' joke
Métis leader and critics tell Colin Mayes to resign native affairs role and apologize

January 26, 2007 Allan Woods Richard Brennan Ottawa Bureau / The Star

OTTAWA–
The chair of the Commons aboriginal affairs committee is in the eye of a storm over an email that refers to natives as "chief" and "Tonto."

Conservative MP Colin Mayes (Okanagan-Shuswap) received a so-called joke, entitled "Tim Horton's (sic) Tonto," in October. It tells of a native man who walks into a coffee shop with a buffalo on a leash.

Mayes replied to the email, saying it was a "good joke," which opposition parties and native groups objected to yesterday after seeing a copy.

"I find it offensive," said Liberal MP Tina Keeper (Churchill), an accomplished Cree actor. She resents the fact that some people still try to portray natives as "cartoon" characters. "How could you not get that this is offensive particularly when you are in that role?"

MP Anita Neville (Winnipeg South Centre), the Liberal native affairs critic, said Mayes should "resign immediately" from the committee post and apologize to First Nations.

Contacted at his Ottawa office by the Toronto Star, Mayes said: "Quite frankly, this is not a story. It's just not a story."

Mayes, at first, did not deny writing "good joke" but later said he could not recall whether he wrote that.

"I can't remember the joke but I think it is kind of a smear against the civil service ... It had nothing to do with First Nations," the MP from B.C. said.

Reminded that it referred to natives in disparaging terms, Mayes said, "I don't know about that," then went on to say he would not refer to natives as "Tonto" or "chief," agreeing that would be unacceptable.

"I find no humour in insults to anybody of any culture or heritage," he said, adding he resented any suggestion he was a racist because his own family is an ethnic mix.

"I am in a family that is very multicultural. My wife has Japanese heritage. I'm of European heritage. My daughter has adopted two boys from Haiti. Like, give me a break."

Mayes said he is simply the victim of a political smear.

"You got to look at where the source was and how it is being interpreted by Anita Neville and it is simply just a partisan smear that is levelled against me by Anita and I am really disappointed, because I am on the aboriginal affairs committee doing my best and have actually had very positive comments about my chairmanship."

Métis National Council president Clement Chartier said the email exchange is not "behaviour that is acceptable today ... It is bad taste."

In his email, Mayes alleges a movement's afoot to "discredit me and replace me." Ten on the board of his riding association have quit since November.

0 comments: